Topic: Run Another App Defect?

Please take a peek at the following:

App #1 - Test Advanced Vehicle Requests
App #2 - OnStar Find Nearest Address (Function)
App #3 - OnStar Get Vehicle Probe Data (Function)

#1 calls #2, which in turn calls #3.  It should go like this:

#3 produces lat/long from vehicleID
#2 produces an address from lat/long
#1 speaks the results

When I test #3 by itself, setting vehicleID and advanceVehicle, it works just fine.
When I test #2 by itself, setting vehicleID, it works just fine.
When I test #1, setting vehicleID, I get an error -- which appears to be a loss of latitude/longitude data from #3 as it goes into the URL call for #2.

VehicleID is set to the same value for all tests: 2G1WD57C691264538

Since each individual module tests out okay by itself, I'm completely confused as to why it wouldn't work as part of a larger chained call.

Is this a defect?

Re: Run Another App Defect?

I have confirmed this fairly severe defect.  It seems like something is messed up with the movement of variables through multiple applications?

Flow of operation for failure

AppA(set variableA) ==> AppB:variableA ==> AppC:variableA (produces simpleDBresult) ==> AppB:simpleDBresult ==> AppA:simpleDBresult

Analysis:
- AppC successfully receives variableA
- AppC successfully produces simpleDBresult
- CRITICAL: AppB loses simpleDBresult immediately upon its return from calling AppC

Successful flows:
1) AppC(set variableA) (produces simpleDBresult)
2) AppB(set variableA) ==> AppC:variableA (produces simpleDBresult) ==> AppB:simpleDBresult

I'm pretty much going to have to re-architect...

Last edited by daniel.rudman@○○○●○ (2010-11-19 12:33:29)

I've created a test harness for you to look at that I won't change so you can debug this problem.  Please look in my account at:

Defect Test - AppA
Defect Test - AppB
Defect Test - AppC

The expected result is that for id=1, value1 will be "hello" and value2" will be "world".  It is successful in getting those values in AppC, but it loses them by the time they are returned to AppB.

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for all the information about this issue.  Could you please share your Defect Test applications with all permissions to admin?  That way, we can run through your app so we can work on debugging the problem.  We will let you know as we have updates concerning this issue.

Regards,
The QuickFuse Team

Shared.  Defect Test - App A, Defect Test - App B, and Defect Test - App C all shared with user "admin".  FUll rights extended.

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for sharing those apps with us.  We are continuing to look into this issue.  We will work with the test apps you have shared and inform you of any progress we make on this.

Regards,
The QuickFuse Team

Hi Daniel,

We were able to reproduce your issue--thanks for sharing those well-constructed test cases with us.  We then traced this issue back to a bug with some trickier aspects of passing variables through multiple nested apps involving database queries.  Your expected behavior is indeed how we intended the feature to work: sub-apps operate within a "stack" of independent execution environments, and can pass specified values fluidly through multiple nestings.

We think we've fixed the behavior now, as your test apps now seem to work correctly.  Again, your help with fleshing out the issue was much appreciated.

Best,
QuickFuse Team

Glad to hear it was helpful and that you've fixed the problem!

Thanks!!

Dan