Topic: What happens to old information?

After reviewing the documentation on the API, I'm unclear on what happens to old data. Specifically, I see that we can retrieve ALL information in a particular table, but I don't see any parameters where we can specify that we only want to retrieve NEW information. If this doesn't exist, it seems like it'd get unweildy pretty quickly, which might be more ammunition for the case to invest the time in a REST or SOAP service. But even then, it would be nice to know what happens to the data, if for example, the web service fails mid-transmission.

Could you please clarify?

Re: What happens to old information?

Hi Tim,

For production QF applications, you will need a REST or SOAP service if you'd like to have any database integration. We do not support the Simple Database.

In the meantime, it depends on what you mean by "new" information.

If you mean you only want to get data that was inserted in the duration of the call, you should define a variable at the start of the call with the current Unix timestamp. Whenever you insert data, you should include a column that has the current timestamp.

When it comes time to retrieve data, you can choose to only select data that was inserted between the start timestamp that you defined before, and the current time. That will only select the data that was inserted between the start of the call and the current time.

Regards,
The QuickFuse Team

That makes sense with regard to the web service, but regarding old data, do tables just grow indefinitely without any limit? Do we have to delete data that has been retrieved to avoid overflow? Or is there some sort of behind-the-scenes upkeep that will automatically 'push' old data out once we meet a certain quota and keep adding new data?

Hi Tim,

The Simple Database does not automatically delete data, it will grow "indefinitely." The only behind-the-scenes upkeep for Simple DB is to delete rows yourself.

Regards,
The QuickFuse Team

Is there no size limit either?

There is a limit of 1000 bytes per value when saving to a data table. Theoretically, there is no limit to the number of rows you can save, but again, we do not support Simple Database and cannot guarantee its reliability.

Thank you for the information. I certainly appreciate it.